Friday, June 02, 2006

 

Share and share alike.

I want to encourage all freelance writers, aspiring and professional, to share with their fellow writers.

This week several people have helped me out. I was looking for the name of an editor at a certain magazine, and fellow writers responded offering up their editor's name or offering to put me in contact with other people who have worked for that publication. Then, when I was having trouble setting my schedule for a writer's conference where writers meet with editors, several writers e-mailed me to offer to swap meeting times. And last but not least, a life coaching buddy spent an hour on the phone with me this week helping me come up with a plan for setting up e-mentoring for writers (which you'll see on this blog very soon),

In the past, writers have shared names of expert sources; sent me article ideas they thought would be perfect for me; and put me in contact with agents who were seeking writers with my expertise. I'll remember all of these writers in the future when they need help.

Of course, it isn't all one-sided: I often put writers in contact with my editors, and I'm quick to share ideas, info on markets, and sources' contact info. I work under the "karma principle": share with others and they will share with you.

So don't look at your fellow writers as competitors from whom you must guard all your writerly secrets. What a difficult way to run a business! Much easier when everyone's willing to lend a hand to their colleagues.

Have a great weekend, and happy writing!

Comments:
You are so right about this, Linda.

The past few months, I've been on the receiving end of a LOT of help from established writers as I try to crank up my career. Words fail to express how grateful I am to them for welcoming me into the writing fold.

Then, just a couple of days ago, I was able to return the favor by providing detailed market information to a fellow writer about two pubs I regularly write for. I was grateful to be able to "pay forward" the kindnesses shown to me lately.

Personally, I find the "we're all in this together" worldview to be much less stressful than the "every other writer is my competitor" view. There's enough negativity in the world. Why add to it?
 
I echo that! Also, thanks for visiting my blog as well. I am familiar with your book. I think it is just great that there is this incredible network of writes that can, and will help others. (As opposed to some, as you commented about on my blog.) Keep up the great work!
 
Very true, Linda.

By the way, I'm enjoying the blog, too!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?